MT. MORIAH BAPTIST CHURCH HISTORY
While fighting a fire on the rooftop of 5315 Wilmington Street, a discussion between two of the volunteer firefighters revealed that one was a young minister, Rev. Hoxie Perry, Jr. The other man, Bro. J.T. Hart, and a band of volunteers soon canvassed the neighborhood for persons interested in organizing a church.
The first service was held in the home of Brother and Sister Noland Jones on Carmen Street. On November 28, 1951 in the home of Brother and Sister Harold Catchings, 5330Wilmington St. Reverend Hoxie Perry, Jr. was installed as pastor by Reverend N.C. Crain, pastor of St. John Baptist Church on Gray with eleven Charter members present.
The Charter members were Rev. Hoxie Perry, Jr., Brother and Sister Harold Catchings, Brother and Sister J.T. Hart, Brother and Sister L.C. Hodge, Sister Ruby Jones, Sister Effie Lenued, Brother Marshall McDonald, Sister Velma Mott and Sister Dilcy Wheat. The Church’s name was chosen by Reverend Perry. He chose the name because Abraham had exemplified faith at Mount Moriah.
Having worshipped from home to home for several months, the members were able to purchase a church site from the Pederson Reality Company. The site was 4730 Pederson Street, Sunnyside Gardens Addition, Lot 12, Block C. The initial church building was a Chicken House purchased from Mr. Abner Anderson. The first constructed building was done by Brother Roland Porter, a self-employed contractor well known for his projects. It was a white framed building built on blocks. The building was remodeled by the pastor and brothers as a suitable structure for worship. This small building was used as a church while the organization began to grow because it had all the essentials of a church. It had the gospel, a church role, the ordinances, a treasurer, etc….
The first officers of Mount Moriah Missionary Baptist Church were:
Reverend Hoxie Perry, Jr. ~ Pastor
Bro. J.T. Hart ~ Superintendent of Sunday School
Bro. Harold Cathings ~ Church Clerk
Bro. Marshall McDonald ~ Treasurer/Chairman, Trustee Board
Bro. George Wheat ~ Chairman, Deacon Board
Sis. Ruby Lee Jones ~ General Mission President
Sis. Geneva Bean ~ Esther Circle President
Bro. Rance Owens ~ BYPU Superintendent
Sis. Jennie Hodge ~ Choir President
Through the installation of Reverend Crain, pastor of St. John Baptist Church on Gray, Mount Moriah and St. John became sister Churches. Therefore, a strong fellowship developed with other churches. Some of the ministers were too tall for a church this size, this led to a discussion to build a larger building. Bro. Roland Porter, a self- employed contractor known for his projects, was chosen to build Mount Moriah’s first building; the first service in the building was March 3, 1952.
Growth of the congregation spiritually, numerically and insights by the founder, led to the building of a new edifice which was designed by Robert M. Catchings, Sr. The congregation entered May 9, 1954 and on November 7, 1954 the cornerstone was set in place. The first
building became the cafeteria.
From seasons of success to a season of tragedy, on February 6, 1956, the edifice was destroyed by fire. Believing that “through Christ all things are possible” (Matthew 19:26), on January 6, 1957 the church structure was rebuilt with the addition of a baptismal pool. A mortgage burning service was held on January 27, 1971 celebrating the rebuilding phase of 1957.
In 1973, Rev. Perry presented his vision for the expansion and remodeling of Mount Moriah. The plan included additional classrooms, a fellowship hall, a kitchen and bricking the entire church. The remodeled building was dedicated November 11, 1973 with a mortgage burning October 23, 1977.
On February 6, 1985, the Mount Moriah family experienced its greatest loss. Our beloved founder and leader, Rev. Hoxie Perry, Jr., was summoned from labor to rest. In his lifetime, he served as pastor, shepherd, counselor, teacher and friend.
God called Reverend Michael Lee Jones to the pastoral leadership of Mount Moriah on July 22, 1985. Under Reverend Jones leadership, the church added numerous ministries including Children’s Church, Marriage Ministry, Hospital and Home Visitation, and Jail and Prison Ministry. Seeing the need to assist in the education of our church, Reverend Jones created the Hoxie Perry, Jr. Scholarship in honor of our beloved founder.
Reverend Jones resigned in 1994. He was succeeded by Reverend Thomas L. McGruder, who served as interim pastor prior to being called as pastor in August, 1994.
Under Reverend McGruder’s leadership, Ministries and Teaching programs were added to the church including the Bread Ministry, Health Fair Workshops and Christian Education Classes. An education wing was designed and completed under his tenure. Reverent McGruder’s tenure ended in
November, 2011.
The Congregation elected Reverend Jerome Davis as pastor, November 2012. Remaining true his divine calling to pastoral leadership, Reverend Davis is supporting established ministries and adding new ministries such as Men’s Fraternity 33 Classes, Deacons Training, Deaconess Ministry, Birthday Celebration Fellowship, Community Outreach Ministry and the activation of the Marriage Ministry.







.png)
.png)
